It's that time of year when the world seems to change into a brilliant aura of color! Our energy levels start to rise and our motivation to create a “new look” for our homes encourages us to take the “decorative step.”
During this time of year, we have many requests and questions from our clients and customers to help them with “new changes.” One of the most basic changes that plays a large part in a “new look” is paint color.
Let’s look at how to choose the right color for your rooms.
Changing the color in your room is a fairly simple way to make it look really different. Color can create a specific feeling or atmosphere, and make a unique statement that reflects your individuality. You can use color to showcase the things about your room that you really love, and make the most of your room’s particular features and proportions.
GET A FEELING FOR THE SPACE AS A WHOLE
- High contrast, either in color or intensity, creates a visual focal point of some feature in your room that you really love.
- Avoid sharp contrasts between color or intensity if you want to downplay areas.
- Light or neutral colors can open up a small space
- Deep, rich colors in warm tones will create a cozy, inviting space.
CHOOSE A COLOR BASED ON ROOM SIZE
- Avoid sharp contrasts between colors in small rooms. Try cooler tones in neutral shades to help the room feel larger.
- Large rooms can feel cozy with medium to deep color in warm tones.
COMPARE CEILING HEIGHT TO THE ROOM’S SIZE
- Ceilings can affect how your room appears to feel. For instance, a large room can feel smaller if the ceiling is low, and a smaller room can feel bigger if the ceiling is very high.
- With a large room and a high ceiling, or a small room with a low ceiling, a contrast in color tone or intensity can visually separate the walls and ceiling. This will make a larger space feel more intimate and a small space feel more expansive.
- If your room is small and has a high ceiling, or is large with a low ceiling, keep the color tones the same. Make sure that the contrast between the walls and ceilings is moderate or low.
LIGHT PLAYS A LARGE PART IN YOUR COLOR CHOICE
- Natural light will change during the day. Try out your color options first. Paint sections of the walls and check to see how it looks throughout the day.
- Light fixtures also impact how color will look. Paint a few sections, turn on the lights you use the most to see how they affect the color.
Let’s get started! Spring forward and create a beautiful new look for your lovely home.
Always feel free to contact us. We love playing in the paint!